Fast food is no good for you

I can't remember the last time I visited a fast food place but on Monday I was away from work on business. Circumstances meant I ended up eating a chicken burger, fries and coke for lunch. At the time it tasted great (high in sugar and salt I expect). However, shortly after my stomach felt all bloated and I generally felt a bit down. I couldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day and it wasn't until the next day that I had got over it. How do people eat these things all the time? I believe we learn something from everything that we do. (See my other posting on alcohol which teaches me I've not much will power as regards drink!) My visit to the fast food place has proved to me the dangers of this stuff and has strengthened my resolve when I say no to my daughter when she wants to go. This however is hard when all her friends go. If anyone agrees and has children, have you any tips on explaining this to a 7 year old? So far I've kept to the same message - it is 'bad' for you and can make you fat. I've tried to keep this as a 'gentle' message though as I don't want her upsetting all her friends at school! This reminds me of a funny incident when she was younger. My wife who is a veggi had been explaining why she doesn't eating meat. On our next visit to Tesco I left my daughter sitting in a trolly next to the chicken counter as I crossed the isle for something. From here I could clearly hear her ask a lady why she was eating dead animals. So true, but I don't think the lady appreciated a lecture from a 4 year old!![quote:bd66935b5f="Dave T"]If anyone agrees and has children, have you any tips on explaining this to a 7 year old? So far I've kept to the same message - it is 'bad' for you and can make you fat. [/quote:bd66935b5f] Great post Dave and something I feel strongly about too. I have a 4 AND THREE QUARTERS year old - you understand the importance of the 3/4? :D. For 3 1/2 years I kept her off everything that I felt was not good - refined sugar, any additives, even crisps, chocolate and certainly sweets. All the food in our house is prepared by me and we never buy convenience foods or have takeaways. I always maintained that I would give her a 'good foundation' for her health - i.e. no vaccinations, lots of fresh air, enough sleep, organic and wherever possible, local food, and two years of breastfeeding. I knew that the time would come when she would go off to friend's houses and would be offered all sorts of chemically-laden stuff. That time has come! Fortunately the McDonald's party has not yet arrived, but certainly 'plastic ham', 'plastic cheese', chicken dippers, sausages, white bread, chocolate and sweets. Basically I give her *information* - and keep the emotional content out. i.e. sweets have chemicals in them that are not good for us. One day, she was in a shop with me and picked up a vile looking pink sweet. It had some sort of liquid in it, which she accidentally squirted onto her neck and there was a lesson in itself. Within minutes her neck was stinging and red raw. I was able to point out that if she had eaten the sweet, this burning chemical would be inside her tummy and asked her to think about how that might feel. She knows that other people have sweets, but we do not at home and that if she chooses to eat them at other people's houses that is fine by me. Likewise she will be sent with my good blessing to her first McDonald;s invite, but I shall never take her myself. If she ends up with diarrhoea after tea at a friend's house I say something like 'I wonder why your tummy feels poorly today.' Invareiably she'll say something like 'I think it was the choclate / crisps / ham I ate'. and I leave it at that. She tells me she *likes* these things and I agree it is hard to stop eating the things we like, even when they don't agree with us. I tell her that even Mummie's and Daddy's find it hard. And when she's 16, who knows? Perhaps she'll leave home and live on McDonald's and sweets - but that is her journey. I know she has the knowledge and intution to know what these things do to her, but it is up to her to decide how to treat her body. One last thing; it is not a criticism, but I would not share the part about 'geting fat'. I for one, could live off McDonald's three times a day and not put an ounce on. Better perhaps to focus on the more factual health side of things - liver getting overloaded, lack of energy etc............. With a 7 year old, maybe there is something physical that your daughter likes to do. It might be good to point out that she needs good fuel so that she can enjoy ballet / gym / horse-riding / climbing at the park......Also, if she gets ill, to point out that eating good food and lots of rest will enable her to get better more quickly. Just stick to the facts and don't lay on the emotions and of course, practise positive role-modelling with your own food choices. Best of luck - being a parent in the fast-paced 21st century isn't easy at times :wink: wingsoflove (wingsoflove)

I have an almost 2 year old. Charlie and I prefer to eat out at restaurants rather than fast food places, so although he has experienced chips, he hasn't had the true fast food experience. I've always held a similar belief to WOL, that I won't take my son to those places, but he is free to go with others. At the moment it is easy, my son doesn't speak much yet, so pester power hasn't truly begun. My personal thoughts- If I tell him that fast food is wrong and forbid it, then it will become more appealling, especially if he has friends (in the future) who frequent these places. I also don't believe that things are bad in moderation. A Mc Donalds every now and again isn't going to harm him, neither is the odd jaffa cake, or sweet; the main this is that I make sure I am giving him nurtitious foods and snacks most of the time. We need to be careful about what kind of attitude towards food we want our children to have. I'm sorry about sounding preachy, but I am with WOL about not telling children that certain foods will make them fat. The last thing children should be worried about is becoming fat. It can lead to all sorts of problems. As parents control the food, then becoming fat is a preantal worry, not a child's I know that it is easy for me at the moment. It will be interesting to see how things change in the coming years. (rachael)

[b:6a2af52c21][color=brown:6a2af52c21][/color:6a2af52c21]I totally agree that fast food is bad for you and I discourage my kids from wanting it. In the event that we are pressed for time and there are not alternative options available; we may go to fast food establishments. In those instances, I do moniter what my children's intake. I try to select fresh fruit, salads, yogurt, milk, and juice. Opposed to fried, fatty foods, and soda drinks. Although, no situation is "ideal"; you can only do your best. Another way I have modified my family's consumption is that we have eliminated sugar from our diets. We are now only eating sugar-free cookies and sweets. Splenda is a wonderful new sweetener and we use it in everything. Since we made the switch to sugar-free I've shed some extra poundage and my kids have settled down alot. We've all started eating healthier with the whole grains and the kids seem to prefer them to the white refined bread anyway. :D [/b:6a2af52c21] (ashnaidp)

Better be careful of the salads from fastfoods as well. I'm quoting machenster online here "SALADS bought in some fast food chains contain more salt than burgers, a Which? report said today" And dressings have a high saturated fat content and salt content can be very high as well. Which? criticised Burger King and KFC for providing inaccurate website information about their food's nutrition content. Tests showed that a Big Mac and medium fries contained 900 calories, compared with the 786 calories stated on the McDonald's website. Here is the link http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/food/s/189/189744_salads_fattier_and_saltier_than_burgers.html Eat well (charles vald)

Thanks for all the comments. They have helped me review what I say to my daughter re fast food. I'll stop saying they make you fat and focus on the health side of things. With all the current publicity around health food at school, she is well aware that some foods are good for you and other aren't. She takes packed lunches to school so this helps us choose things that she likes and are good for her. (Dave T)

[b:bd2791f9ed][color=brown:bd2791f9ed][/color:bd2791f9ed]Wow! Thank you so much for the information. In the future, if we're planning any type of road trip or know there's is a chance we are going to be pressed for time...WE will pack a lunch!!! :wink: No wonder so may of us are overweight and unhealthy, even with the best of intentions. [/b:bd2791f9ed] (ashnaidp)

I won't begin to talk about the manufacturing process of pre-prepared salads you can buy in supermarkets then :roll: I would say, that unless it comes from your own garden and has been nurtured by you, you bascially can't trust it. wingsoflove (wingsoflove)

Unless the garden crops have absorbed by petrol fumes from a cloud hanging over London as we speak... (charles vald)

LOL Charles!! (Purple)

[Back]

hyphdr.png

Hypnosis CDs    New Age Music CDs    Nature CDs    Health/Laugh CDs     WellBeing Forum