Bone Disease

Osteoporosis is a disease in which bones become fragile and more likely to break. If not prevented or if left untreated, osteoporosis can progress painlessly until a bone breaks. These broken bones, also known as fractures, occur typically in the hip, spine, and wrist. Any bone can be affected, but of special concern are fractures of the hip and spine. A hip fracture almost always requires hospitalization and major surgery. It can impair a person's ability to walk unassisted and may cause prolonged or permanent disability or even death. Spinal or vertebral fractures also have serious consequences, including loss of height, severe back pain, and deformity. Although there is no cure for osteoporosis, there are steps you can take to prevent it or to slow or stop its progress. Adequate calcium, vitamin D, appropriate exercise and, in some cases, medication like [url=http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3225-s-FOSAMAX.aspx]Fosamax[/url] are important for maintaining bone health. Currently, bisphosphonates (alendronate, ibandronate and risedronate), calcitonin, estrogens are used to treat and prevent the diseaseErm, call me outspoken, but I'm having terrible trouble figuring out what this post has to do with this forum? Could someone enlighten me, perhaps? wingsoflove (wingsoflove)

I am guessing that Bluefin is giving us this advice as a Health Tip in this particular section of the forum? As someone going through early menopause I am particularly at risk of osteo and keen to prevent it. (Purple)

Oh, ok, thanks. A friend of mine had a hip replacement this week. I personally feel that one of the greatest preventions can come through diet - a diet that favours alkaline, as opposed to acid and plenty of water and EFAs. Glucosamine sulphate can be useful too if the condition has already begun. wingsoflove (wingsoflove)

An average woman will lose 1% to 2% a year of bone mass after the age of 30 if she doesn't do something about it. If you keep losing bone mass, osteopenia (early bone loss) becomes osteoporosis (potentially irreversible bone loss). The bad news is that the best prevention is weight or resistance training. Now I'n not talking Charles Atlas type weight training. I'm about a small weight just heavy enough for your body to recognise that it needs to keep the bone strong. The good news is that it is never to late to start. a trial in the use showed that 70 year olds did well on an 8 (or 12) week program. Osteo is also site specific - that means all the bones need to be exercised. SO choose an exercise that is weight bearing (your own body counts) and not swimming where the water supports you. Walking is quite good but remember to get those arms moving. Another major factor is vitamin D - without sunshine the body does not do so well with calcium - so supplementation is less effective. (roharuk)

[Back]

hyphdr.png

Hypnosis CDs    New Age Music CDs    Nature CDs    Health/Laugh CDs     WellBeing Forum