Sleeping in Animals

In the dolphin and whale kingdom it seems that both Mum and Baby both don't sleep, which does make sense as it is rather dangerous in the sea. The problem is that these animals are very advanced clever beings. It really does not help with the theories of why we sleep. If I recall dolphins usually sleep with half their brain shut off at a time but these Mummy and baby dolphins don't sleep at all.Hi Charles funny you should post this but do you not think it is a little like us ladies with children. I know that once my children were born I never have slept right. I think it is because mothers get in to habit of listening for our child crying at night. I think that our brains our then retrained to stay that way untill maybe they are grew up. Well I will have to wait a while longer until mine are grew up and flown the nest. One thing I do know is my hubby could sleep through anything. House could fall down round him. So maybe some of us are like those poor dolphins lol. God Bless Summer (Summer)

Hello Summer, I'm sure you have a point as from what I can gather from female collegues it's those of us who have had children who are the most likely to suffer with sleeping problems. However that's just it ..... most likely ..... not a universal rule so I don't know that we can draw any conclusions! One of my friends NEVER woke up for her babie's feeds her husband did the night time/wee small hours bottles!!! ( Needless to say she didn't breast feed!) Another couple of collegues haver never had and never want to have babies and they sleep a full 8 hours uninterrupted sleep a night!! :mrgreen: What luxury, hard for me to imagine. My boys are long since grown and flown but I still can't get enough sleep! I do hope you'll return to refreshing sleep once your offspring are adults! My husband can sleep in advance if he gets called on to work at night and just like my Dad could even sleep on a linen line if need be! I'm most surprised to learn about the female and baby dolphin's complete lack of sleep. I wonder of there is any difference in life expectancy and do the females sleep when they've stopped reproducing? Linda (Linda)

[quote:68b076670b="Summer"]..........do you not think it is a little like us ladies with children. I know that once my children were born I never have slept right. I think it is because mothers get in to habit of listening for our child crying at night. Summer[/quote:68b076670b] Oh how very true - before I had kids I did actually sleep through a most horrific and damaging storm then 15 yrs ago babies came and NEVER since - I hardly sleep at al and it is as if I have one eye and one ear open at all times so I know whaat's going on!!!! (Purple)

Definately is you ladies - sadly I confess that I DO sleep through all that happens in the night unless I get a swift kick from the wife or a shout in my ear!!!! :? (James)

[Back]

hyphdr.png

Hypnosis CDs    New Age Music CDs    Nature CDs    Health/Laugh CDs     WellBeing Forum